For the health and safety of our patients, visitors and staff, Chennai Hospitals is a smoke-free campus. This means that patients and families, faculty, staff, contract workers, students, volunteers and visitors cannot smoke on all property owned or leased by Chennai Hospitals.
- Smoking is banned on Chennai Hospitals property, including all buildings, all vehicles and grounds.
- A clear message will be provided that smoking and the effects of passive smoking are a major cause of preventable ill health and should be discouraged.
- Staff must not smoke when on duty, including when on rest breaks, whilst on Chennai Hospitals property or grounds.
- Staff are prohibited from smoking when in uniform or identifiable members of Chennai Hospitals staff.
- All staff who smoke will be offered information and support to quit smoking.
- All patients who smoke will be offered access to quit smoking. Inpatients experiencing acute nicotine withdrawal will be treated in a supportive manner and prescribed appropriate nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) where required.